A short history of this world famous club

Cardiff Bowling Club has been in existence for well over a 100 years, having been founded in 1878 by the then Marquess of Bute in parkland owned by his family. 


The club, a founding member of the Welsh Bowling Association, is situated in Sophia Gardens across the River Taff from the Castle and adjacent to the city centre and Millennium Stadium.
 
In 1948 a great deal of land in the city was given to the Lord Mayor, Aldermen and Citizens of Cardiff by the Bute family and this included the land occupied by the club.

One of the conditions of this generous gift was the award to the club of a 999 year lease at a ground rent of £1 per annum which expires in 2947, yes 2947.

There has been development on the site over the years including the building in 1984 of a six rink indoor stadium followed in 1996 by an enlarged indoor bar, new changing rooms, cellar and office.

The playing successes, too numerous to be listed here, of the indoor and outdoor parts of the club are to be admired,suffice it to say that the outdoor club have been national club champions 5 times whilst the indoor has now achieved the equivalent on 19 occasions, the latest being the 2016/2017 season

In addition an indoor team has won the national team championship on 11 occasions and the KO Cup 6 times.

We have hosted many touring sides from around the world, Commonwealth Games, Special Olympics and televised tournaments.

The indoor arena was used for the Welsh Grand Prix of Short mat bowls for the first time in March 2017.

The club is used by the visually impaired and special needs to play bowls all year round and the club has been delighted to host a number of national and UK wide tournaments for those organisations where the play has been of a very high standard.